CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Dec 9, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree

It is that time of year again. The time I dread. The time when the kids start asking "When are we going to get a Christmas tree mommy?" I dislike the Christmas season in general, but I really hate the whole Christmas tree ordeal. You see, in our seven years of marriage Christmas trees are probably responsible for more fights - I mean discussions than any other thing. Every year it is something different.

The first year the big thing was when do we get our tree - Todd's family always waited until a day or two before Christmas while my family put up our tree right after Thanksgiving. Then there is the fight over how many lights need to be on the tree - he didn't see why it needs more than one or two strands, while I believe that there is a mathematical formula, something like 50 lights per foot. One year when we went to Arnold's tree farm where every tree was $10, and none of them were very attractive. Anyway we found an acceptable tree and brought it home. We decorated the tree and the next night it fell over. We bought a new stand, redecorated the tree and still it tipped. I seem to recall that next we used twine to tie the tree in the standing position, but that didn't work for long either. I don't remember who was mad at who over what, but that was a stressful year that resulted in two Christmas trees and a lot of broken ornaments.

We have had various disagreements about where to put the tree, which decorations are ugly, and what constitutes tackiness in regard to a Christmas tree. So this year I was seriously thinking that we shouldn't have a Christmas tree. Todd agreed that was a good idea, but it was apparent that the kids would never go along with this. And since Jacob is still not the sole property of Todd and me, yesterday was looking like the only day to go get a tree before Christmas.

After what seemed like a mile of walking (probably felt like a marathon to the kids) we found a tree that made us all happy. And by "us all" I mean me. I kept telling Todd that I would not pick the tree, I wanted someone else to do it. But he refused to come home with a tree that didn't make me happy. As we walked and walked, and he pointed to tree after tree I said "no, no, no, sure if you think so, that one looks good, yup" but he insisted that I find a tree that I liked - he saw right through "that one looks good and yup". Maybe it is from growing up with a fake tree, maybe it is just because in my own little way I am a perfectionist (Todd would point out that this fact is evidenced by the fact that I am married to him - perfection!) but I expect to find a perfectly shaped tree with no bare spots. I was ready to settle and pick out a less than perfect tree when we found one I really liked.

Do you know what the most exciting thing about this tree is? It was only $20!!! We cut it down dragged it back and got it tied on top of the van all without incident. It is now standing (straight) in our dinning room where it will get decorated later today.

2 comments:

charmed1 said...

You have more patience than me,hon. I go with the fake tree. Can't stand the pine needles all over the floor. As for decorations,I'm the boss. Gotta have the Dallas ornaments up there. I do allow a few Giants but they are hidden in the back - where they belong :) Good luck with the decorating....

Sheri said...

very nice!!!! You should see our pathetic excuse of a tree!:)