CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sep 27, 2007

Updates

Well, I know you've (all 2 of you) been wondering how the whole toilet thing worked out so here is an update from my bathroom: We spent three hours sawing the bolts off the base of the toilet in a bathroom that is maybe 8' by 4' (and is our only bathroom) on a night that was at least 85 degrees and about 99 percent humidity. We put took out the old seal, stuck in the new one and put the toilet back. After we flushed (and were feeling pretty good), the water leaked right back out in the same spot that it did before. So Todd tried to tighten the bolts in the floor a little more - then CRACK! The base of the toilet cracked. At that point we didn't know what to do and it was 11:00 at night, so we went to bed with a leaking toilet. The next morning on the advice of a friend, we got an extra thick wax seal and tried the whole thing over again. Of course, the bolts didn't require 3 hours of sawing this time. And - the toilet is now working - yeah us!!! If we had payed someone to replace the toilet (which we were thinking about after the crack) it would have cost us close to $300, but we got away for about $30.

In other news, the adoption papers are no closer to being signed than they were the day David agreed to sign them - he wants it to be an open adoption and so his lawyer is drawing up new papers.

School is going great, but I'm thinking we are still in the honeymoon phase. Jacob rarely complains, and he is doing so well. The one thing he complains about is Latin. I can't say I blame him as I hated Latin during my junior high years at Faith Heritage. But then as I got I older I discovered that my Latin studies were more useful than I originally realized. And I must admit that I think teaching Latin is kind of fun.

I called the district's superintendent about the special ed situation, and the lady called me a few hours later - it's like magic! Of course she was very surprised that I hadn't heard anything from anyone and she was doing this and that to make sure that Jacob gets taken care of before we get too far into the school year. But then she added "You know you can't get services in your house..." which I did know, so I told her "My understanding was that he can receive regular services if I bring him to the school, right?" And then she was sweet as pie again. But she almost seemed like she was trying to lead me to believe that all I could get as a homeschooler was a consult or something.

And yes, I think I did figure out how to record one show and watch another. We're watching the Office now (Todd's show) and we'll see if Grey's (Kelly's show)came out ok in a little while.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

ahhhhh...I made Jon watch Grey's with me tonight- he did pretty good.....

Glad you at least got ahold of someone from the sped dept....thats a step in the right direction

And way to go on the toliet!

charmed1 said...

We had a similar experience with the toilet in this house. It didn't take 3 hours to get the bolts off and we didn't crack the toilet :) but it did still leak after we put the new seal on. We had to get longer bolts and another seal. We'd never make it as plumbers!

Ah Latin. I remember that language. I actually liked it. Have never used it since but at least it has come in handy for you :)

Glad you got the special ed thing under control. Don't you hate it when people assume that you don't know how things work? Sounds like someone doesn't want to do their job.

Not a Grey's fan but am a whiz at the DVR. On any given nite I am taping at least 2 things and during the day I throw in my soaps (Days of Our Lives) and Dr.Phil and Montel. I have such a busy schedule! :)