CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

May 30, 2008

I'm so excited!

Gabriel is writing his name! All by himself! He just did it twice and it looked pretty good! I have not really pushed writing with him yet, since is just barely 4. And until a week or two ago he seemed more or less opposed to the idea of writing. I didn't really know what to do because it was obvious to me that he possessed the skills to write - he just didn't want to do it. And isn't that okay, because he is so young? But on the other hand, he is reading on at least a 2nd grade level and grasping most (if not all) kindergarten concepts.



I kept going back and forth on whether or not to push him. I have a 1st grade phonics book that Jake brought home from public school with most of the pages intact. I have been giving Gabe one or two pages from it each day. This gives him a little bit of writing at a time and he enjoys the work (beginning sounds and end sounds). I haven't made a big deal about how to form the letters on the work he does by himself. But I usually help him write his name the right way.



On one of his pages yesterday he was supposed to draw a picture and write a sentence telling about the picture. I told him to draw the picture, but not worry about the sentence. He drew and wrote. His sentence wasn't written on the lines, but I could clearly read "with Jon and my brother" (brother was spelled wrong, but I could tell what it said!)

2 comments:

charmed1 said...

Pushing him isn't going to hurt. Jordan was able to spell and write his name before he was 3. Some kids can do it and some can't but the ones that can should definitely get that extra push to do more. Maybe you have the next Einstein on your hands! :)

Sheri said...

WOW! That is impressive- if he has the love of learning I would go with it!!!! I had third graders who where at about his level ( and some that didn't even have special needs!) GO GABE!