CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Feb 24, 2009

Field Trip!

My sweet husband took a day off of work yesterday because he knew that I needed a day of fun. We decided to take the kids to the Rochester Museum of Science for the day. We picked it because we knew we could get in free with our MOST pass, and Strong's (the other great kids museum in Rochester) would have cost us almost $50.


I have to say, that this was the most productive, fun field trip/museum outing we have ever done. Jacob is finally getting old enough to want to learn about the exhibits instead of just running around like a wild man. And Gabriel, being more studious by nature, took an interest in some things as well. Cadence didn't really learn much, but she is happy doing whatever her brothers are doing.



The first lesson of the morning took place at the giant sand and water table. We talked about erosion, and then Jacob got to see it in action as we built a path for our river and watched the water flow through it.

That kid the long blond hair next to Jacob is a boy. I made him cry. Todd told me I was a bad person.


We learned about the Mastodon fossils that were uncovered right in the Rochester area. The boys were especially fascinated by all the fossil exhibits.


On the second floor we explored "Flight to Freedom: Rochester's Underground Railroad". I took the kids through the story of the young slave girl, Imani. They got to imagine being chained up, hiding in the roots of a giant tree, rowing a boat, and hiding in a wood shed. They were anxious to hear what would happen to Imani next.


The thing that amazed me most about our trip was that even though we were there until 2:00, not one of the kids ever uttered the words "I'm hungry"! Usually the chorus of "I'm hungry"s starts around 10:30 at home. They were so engrossed in everything the museum had to offer, they didn't even notice the time. It was a great field trip.


6 comments:

JB said...

It looks like your kids no only had a great time but they learned something too. Usually at science museums you see kids running around like it's Chuck E Cheese. Or least that was our experience when we went there.(That's right Corey and I...no kids. We're so overdue to have children.)

Sheri said...

you are a cool teacher!!!!

glad you had fun!:)

charmed1 said...

Why are you making little kids cry? Especially ones that aren't yours!

Kelly (Arnold) Young said...

Apparently no one had EVER told this child no before... he saw us using these little pieces of PVC pipe as tunnels and so he had to have one. When he finally put it down and went on to other things, I had Jacob pick it up so we could use it.

After several minuets the kid saw us with it and started yelling at us to give it back. I kindly let him know that we were using it now, so he went running to his mom having such a fit that they decided to go home.

So yeah, I'm a bad person. I felt like my need to educate was more pressing than his need to control the situation while playing in the sand.

Homeschool Mama said...

Hi There! Now that I am in the Science room in Co-op, I never get a chance to chat. I love your blog!
Maybe this month we can find a minute to say hi. :)

charmed1 said...

Well....I would have made that kid cry too - and his mother! A kid did something like that in Toys R Us the other day and I wanted to slap her and her mother. Her mother just stood there and didn't say a word. Someone needs a parenting class or two! Control your kid lady!