CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Mar 13, 2008

School is fun!

I am just about done ordering books and materials for the next school year, and I can hardly contain my excitement! We will being doing Sonlight's Core 3 - American History Part 1, and we love history. I have put a lot of thought into what to do with Gabriel next year (having just turned 4 is reading the ABeka 1st grade readers, excelling at most K math concepts, and is an all around smarty pants). I decided that I will require him to participate in Jacob's "core" activities- that means he will listen to our history, Bible and read-aloud stuff. I'm sure he will keep reading everything in site, but I have (or can get from the library) all the grade 2 Sonlight readers for him, and we will most likely do those on our own schedule.

Math was what I struggled with the most...to start him in a formal math program or not? I decided not. From glancing over the Saxon math placement test it appears he would place in 1st grade now, but I'm not ready for that level of commitment with him. So I will teach him the things I know he needs work on (money, telling time to 1/4 hour, subtraction, patterns) and maybe when he is 5 we will do Saxon 2, maybe.

Not that I'm complaining, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of resources for gifted preschoolers - a lot of what I found on-line was parents saying "Maybe I shouldn't let my 3 year learn to read 'cause I don't want him to be bored in school..."

Only 10 weeks left of Core this year, 2 weeks of math (Jacob will start right in on 54 though) and not too much lang. It's funny how I'm really craving a good long break and at the same time all excited about next year. Does anybody have any tips on getting a wiggly boy to memorize multiplication facts?

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Hey Kelly! I like the bright new look!!!

Finding Curriculum is hard work thats for sure!! I hated that part as a teacher- Sounds like you guys are on the ball!

Its funny...though I don't have that much expereince with gifted students I have heard that problem.....its like the opposite problem I have with Sammy:)...I feel like there is sooo much to accomplish and not nearly enough time....way too many resources to choose from (I am not complaing about that part though)

I can imagine that it would be tough, because all parents want to push their kids to be all they can be regardless of where they "start" from.....

I still give you a ton of credit for homeschooling! FEW! I don't think I could do it!!!:) ( well, past kindergarten that is- I suppose I am doing it now:) ha ha

charmed1 said...

You could always bribe him :) That's what I'm doing with Shae. I feel that she doesn't know some of her facts as well as she should so I gave her a little incentive to learn them. It seems to be working!