CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Apr 16, 2007

April Showers Bring May Flowers...What Does April Snow Bring?


Okay, I know its Syracuse. I know it has snowed on my birthday in the middle of May. But really, I'm sick of winter. Even my kids are sick of winter. They keep saying "We don't want more snow. When will it be warm out?"


This morning I was all ready to take Jacob to school, but turned the radio station to check for school closings just to be safe (I already dropped him off at school once this year when it was closed due to the cold). I couldn't believe the list of closings, and of course our school was on the list. So here we are with a snow day in the middle of April.

Back inside the house where it's warm, Gabriel is continuing to amaze me with his reading. I'm starting to get a little bit nervous. Shaping his mind is a huge responsibility. I got him a preschool workbook at Wal-Mart the other day so he can work a little bit on math concepts and big/little, up/down, and other stuff like that. I also pulled out a book that I used for Jacob in 1st grade - it is a children's encyclopedia that we used for history and geography. Gabriel loves learning about the contents and weather and stuff like that. But I wonder, should he have music lessons or foreign language? He really loves to learn. He begs for reading lessons (when Jacob was at this point in the reading book at age 5 it was a huge chore to get him through a lesson). Now he is accurately identifying 2 digit numbers, and once again no one ever taught him that.

Then there is Jacob...I think I need to get him another appointment with the psychologist. He has been really bad lately about putting things in his mouth, and I swear there is something going on with him other than ADHD. In a lot of ways, Gabriel is more mature emotionally than Jacob. He also drools a lot, and seems to have some sort of sensory issues. But he is a really good kid - he is just hard to take in large doses.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Man! and to think I complained last week about our little storm! Hmmmmm what does April snow bring??? It was deffinately better when we were younger and we could at least get a day off of school!!! Hang in there! My parents had a terrible day yesterday too...and they do taxes for a living and since today is the 17th.....it was rough!

Anonymous said...

1) It doesn't snow in SC
2) Don't think of shaping a kid's mind (kids are not lumps of stone). Imagine you are a gardener who finds an unknown plant and wants to help it develop. Provide the necessary raw materials, taking your lead from the plant. You seem to be doing this with Gabe by feeding his reading appetite.
3) I agree about Jacob. I think you are (or were) part of the problem. When kids cannot control anything else, their body revolts. You were too controlling when he was younger. Bed wetting can also result from this situation.