CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Aug 2, 2008

Sensory Evaluation

A few weeks ago I took Jacob to ENABLE for a sensory evaluation. Let me explain - I have long suspected that he has "sensory issues", but have never been able to figure out what that means or what to do about it. But I came across some discussion on The Well Trained Mind boards about Sensory Input Disorder or SDI that exactly described Jacob. When I asked, several moms told me to go read The Out of Sync Child.

After reading the book, I didn't have any doubt that Jacob has some sensory seeking issues that need help. I was excited to find out that our insurance would cover an evaluation and some therapy through ENABLE. I feel relieved that we are finally getting a sensible answer to the "What is wrong with him?" question, but immensely frustrated that it has taken so many years to get the answer (he is 9 now).

Here are some things of interest from the evaluation:

Muscle Tone: Low
Strength: Large muscles, such as core and limbs are strong, but small muscles such as intrinsic hand muscles seem to be poor.
Reflex: The Tonic Labyrinthine Reflex (TLR) was tested, and Jacob appears to have positive TLR reflex. The rest were not formally assessed.

Jacob would benefit from having scheduled 5 minute proprioceptive experiences every 2 hours in order to increase body awareness, motor planning and to learn when the appropriate time is to apply these in his daily routine.
He tended to perform balance activities with awkwardness and would fall often. Jacob would usually leap, jump or tumble to enter and exit the ball bath and other equipment.
Jacobs inability to process verbal commands from others at times may be part related to periods of over-stimulation... Overstimulation typically looks like a child "on a sugar high" who can't pay attention or follow directions, extremely verbal, disorganized physically/mentally, and is going extremely fast during or between activities. When he is at a "just right" arousal level, it is not difficult for Jacob to follow directions as demonstrated at times during the evaluation.
PERCEPTUAL PROCESSING: MOTOR
Balance and coordination: Fair

Praxis: Good with gross motor, Fair with fine motor

Fine Motor Coordination/Dexterity: Fair

Visual Motor Integration: Poor

The summary is followed by recommendations that include weekly therapy, incorporating a sensory diet routine and vestibular activities, and a long list of expensive stuff we can/should buy. The one thing I would love to spring for is the swing that requires 10' ceilings, and ours are only 8'. He loved that swing, and the therapist said it makes sense with his vision problems that he would love the darkness of the cocoon.

Anyway, I am happy to have some answers. Jacob is excited about going to therapy. He loved the sensory room. I suppose it will start soon after we get back from vacation.

4 comments:

charmed1 said...

That's great news,Kel. You must feel so much better now that you have some answers. Hope therapy works out for him :)

JB said...

Super Awesome! Now that you know it'll make it so much easier to, not control, but moderate things before they become stressful for everyone.

Grrr about the MP3 player. I haven't seen it but I haven't looked for it either I'll get on top of that today. I'll let you know if I find it.

Jonathan said...

Good for you Kelly! The Out of Sync Child is a great book....and I think getting an eval was a wise idea....( not that you need my aproval:))....Sammy's group does a lot with SI and I do think it has helped....he is still Sammy, but he can touch the grass now, and will eat ice cream, etc.....Granted he is still obssessed with pushing things, but we have focused more on the appropriate time to do so and the appropriate item to push:)

I think its great to have something to go on....a lot of times I think kids, especially boys are misdiagnosed as ADD/HD (though many probably have a component of both) when they really have other issues.....Anyways I hope you find it helpful and I am glad he is excited about going!!:)

Jonathan said...

opps.....somehow I am logged in as JOn.....its me sheri:)