CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Nov 4, 2008

The Bible and Harry Potter...

are two of the books that I am currently reading. The other day I came across this passage in Luke that I don't ever remember hearing until this fall...
"Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat?' Would he not rather say, 'Prepare me my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' " Luke 17:7-10

Jesus is telling his followers that service to him should not be done in hope of gaining status or reward. It is simply our duty to serve him. This parallels something that I have heard Jordan say over and over. "God is deserving of our worship because of WHO HE IS, not what he has done for us..." I have been challenged by that thought, as one who previously ascribed worth God primarily as savior (of myself and the world). We are to serve him because is the boss. We are to worship him because he is holy, perfect, true and just. God does not have to give us anything in return for our service to him. I think we forget that sometimes, at least I do.

But what has Harry Potter got to do with it? I'm glad you asked! I am nearing the end of the final book in the series, and Dumbledore says something to Harry that struck a chord in me...
"Perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who , like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."

It made me think back to the passage in Luke. The best leaders are the ones who aren't looking to gain anything from it. Because if you think you have something to gain, you will lead selfishly.

So, that is where I am at. Trying to learn to have the heart of an unworthy servant. That means I have to be content in every situation, even I can't seem to see any gain for myself in it. Sometimes, that really stinks!

1 comments:

waitingforbedtime said...

found your blog because we both enjoy enter the worship circle. great blog by the way. :-)